Wednesday, January 25, 2012

New Fire, at Brava

(One of the goddesses in the ritual-based production.  Photo by Charlie Villyard.)




...But this one came out much better, I think because I simply focused on trying to describe the event, which is by no means a traditional theatrical performance.


In some ways, the shows that defy ready classification or summary can be the most exciting to write about.


It was also fun to write about Cherrie Moraga, who wrote and directed the production, because I studied her earlier work for a class last spring.  From the little I've read, I feel I can see an evolution in the form of her plays but a consistent goal: finding an authentic dramatic language for marginalized communities and groups.


New Fire continues through Jan. 29; info here.

No comments:

Post a Comment