Saturday, November 26, 2011

On the Horrors of High School

Earlier this week, I wrote reviews of two shows that are both very much steeped in the hell that is high school.  First was Paul Zindel's The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, at the Custom Made Theatre Co.  This is the only real play I myself have ever directed (in college), so I felt like I could see the choices director Katja Rivera made much more clearly and specifically than I usually do.


(Michelle Jasso and Alona Bach in a moment of model parenting.  Photo by Jay Yamada.)


 The show continues through Dec. 11 at the Gough Street Playhouse.  Info here.


Next up was The Chalk Boy, at the Impact Theatre.  If both plays show girls finding ways to exist in hostile environments, this play's journey was less interesting to me, but it still had some worthwhile comedic moments.


(Just to create a controlled-substance theme in this post's photos.  Luisa Frasconi and Caitlyn Tella show how to maintain a high in between Whip-It runs to the grocery store.  Photo by Cheshire Isaacs.)


The Chalk Boy continues through Dec. 10 at La Val's Subterranean.  Info here.

No comments:

Post a Comment