Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Lie of the Mind, at the Boxcar

(Joe Estlack and Marissa Keltie in the Susannah Martin-directed production.)


I struggled with this review, turning in two completely different drafts, and I'm still not satisfied with it. What a shame! I loved both the play, one of Sam Shepard's "family plays," and the Boxcar's production of it. But in retrospect, I see that several things didn't work. My "take you into the moment" opener does not, after all, evoke or raise suspense. (Maybe this is something live bodies do much better than text does!)   The attempt at topicality feels just that -- an attempt. And the last paragraph sounds much more negative than I'd intended.


Ah, well. As I've written before, and will surely write again, ya can't win 'em all. At some point, I'll see if I can find a trend in all the reviews I haven't been happy with. For now: Shepard, you elude me yet again!


A Lie of the Mind continues through Apr. 14; info here.

No comments:

Post a Comment